Clergy for Choice Network
The Interfaith Education & Advocacy Network for Reproductive Rights
RCRC's Clergy for Choice Network is a national interfaith movement that brings together clergy, seminarians, and theologians who are committed to education and advocacy to safeguard fundamental reproductive rights.
Clergy of all faiths have been leaders in protecting a woman's right to make reproductive decisions that are consistent with her religious beliefs and moral values. Clergy for Choice believe that reproductive choice encompasses
a wide range of issues, including access to safe and reliable family
planning and contraception, comprehensive
sexuality education, affordable childcare and health care,
adoption services, and access to safe, legal, and affordable abortion
Joining Clergy for Choice
As a member of Clergy for Choice, you will receive current information and action alerts about legislation and policies to help you become an effective advocate. You can engage in a variety of pro-choice activities, including participating in public speaking events and worship services, meeting with elected officials and testifying before state legislatures, educating your congregants about local and national issues, and working with state and local affiliates of the Religious Coalition. Many Clergy for Choice participate in RCRC workshops on All Options Clergy Counseling or Pastoral Counseling for Reproductive Loss, to prepare to counsel women, men and couples facing unintneded or problem pregnancies.
As a member of Clergy for Choice, RCRC will assist you by:
- Providing the information you need to serve your congregation and community: sample sermons, liturgies, interfaith worship services, editorials, letters to the editor, and newsletter articles;
- Linking you with your state affiliate and other pro-choice clergy in your area;
- Subscribing you to the Clergy for Choice listserv so you can communicate electronically with other pro-choice clergy across the country and receive action alerts and other up-to-the-minute information from the Religious Coalition;
- Providing you with in-depth information and analyses of timely issues through periodic mailings and conference calls with nationally recognized experts;
- Sending you the Clergy for Choice newsletter, Illuminata , written by and for clergy on matters of faith and choice, to keep you up-to-date on emerging trends and issues related to reproductive choice and religious freedom.
You can sign up for the Clergy for Choice Network by clicking here
For information, please call 202-628-7700 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Moody Clergy Consultation Fund
Forty years ago, when abortion was illegal and unsafe
procedures caused physical suffering and death, clergy took action to save
women's lives and health. Rev. Howard Moody of Judson Memorial Church in New
York City brought together a small group of ministers and rabbis to assist
women seeking safe, secure, and low-cost abortions. The service eventually
grew to include about 1,400 clergy across the nation, who referred thousands
of women to doctors in the U.S. and abroad, and was a nucleus of efforts to
change the laws. Clergy continue to have a central role in counseling women.
In honor of the Clergy Consultation Service and Rev. Moody, the Religious
Coalition for Reproductive Choice has established a fund to support training
clergy counselors. Please
Additional Clergy Resources: